Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's

History of Pittsfield on Disk

Dr. John Woodcock's House

Submitted in 2006 by his daughter, Jane Woodruff

House History

Location: 31 Somerset Avenue

Owner: Dr. John Woodcock, D.V.M.

Description: 2½ story wood frame house with separate two story two car garage with office

Background:
date built unknown, although the house can be seen in the 1889 illustration by George Norris inside the covers of Sanger Cook's book "Pittsfield on the Sebasticook".
purchased in 1949 by John and Laura Woodcock as a two family home. At that time there was an attached barn and a balcony on the second floor (see photos) on the east side of the house.
first floor reinforced with cedar logs placed in basement to support joints.
became one family home after initial couple years.
on west side door and porch added to main house, while an additional building also was added in 1952 which served as the office for Dr. Woodcock's veterinary practice as well as a "2 car garage" which in actuality was a one car garage and one horse stall. A run for dogs was on the west side of this building.
kitchen remodeled in 1956 second floor bathroom moved from rear of house to central location displacing a small bedroom.
extensive remodeling to rear second floor area after damage due to chimney fire in 1979; rest of home sustained smoke damage with the Woodcock's being unable to live in it five months.

 



Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: DrJohnWoodcock.shtml
Version: Tuesday 22 December, 2009