Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's

History of Pittsfield

First Congregational Church
of the United Church of Christ

132 Somerset Avenue
(207) 487-6947

For more about the Church's history, see
A Brief History   1960–2000

P.O. Box 423, 132 Somerset Avenue

Pittsfield, Maine 04967

Church Phone and Fax: (207) 487-6947

Email at pittscong@myfairpoint.net

Church services: Sunday, 10:00 a.m.

Sunday School: 10:00 a.m.

Childcare: 10:00 a.m.  September 1st through May 31st.

Church Service 9:00 a.m. from June 1st to August 31st. No Sunday School.

(Click to enlarge.)

First Congregational Church was founded in 1960 and soon thereafter joined the United Church of Christ. The Church was founded by fifty-one Christians who wanted to maintain their faith in Jesus Christ in the Congregational Way. The Church first met in living rooms and VFW halls before finally purchasing the former Donald H. Shorey Funeral Home and offices on Park Street. After a spirited remodeling effort, our church services were first held in our present sanctuary in the Fall of 1961.

Our church has traditionally been a training church for students at the Bangor Theological Seminary. In our forty-year history, we have had six ordinations here, and have seen many pastors go on to serve Christ in many capacities. Presently, we have a full-time permanent pastor who has been here since 2003. Over the years, we have increased the size of our church buildings and have increased the size of our church membership. We are a medium-sized, still growing, church dedicated to the work of Jesus Christ as guided by the Holy Spirit. Our friendliness is shown not only in our warm church services but also in our coffee fellowships and suppers that we offer throughout the year. Our church was nicknamed "The Church that Love Built" by its founders, and we treasure and maintain that tradition to this day.


Original Version: 27-Nov-05.


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: Congregational.shtml
Version: Thursday 25 February, 2010