Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's
History of Pittsfield

Pittsfield's Railroad Depot Building

Today the Pittsfield Railroad Depot building serves as Pittsfield's Depot House Museum and is overseen by the Pittsfield Historical Society. It is owned by the Town of Pittsfield. The Depot House Museum is open by appointment by calling Tom Brown at 487-4926.

More about the history of the depot can be found on the Historical Society's website here.
Take a Virtual Tour of the Museum.

A list of railroading history websites can be found here.


(Click on pictures below to enlarge.)
The Maine Central Railroad Passenger Depot in it's heyday in 1907, from an old newspaper photograph. The Depot was built by Maine Central Railroad in 1886.

The Depot and Grain Elevator, from a postcard circa 1920.


The Depot as it appeared in a 1913 colorized postcard.
The Depot in 1944.
View of the Depot from Library Street in the 1960's. The Lancey House Hotel is in the background and the Railway Express Agency building in the foreground.
The Depot in a 1972 photo.
In 1974, the Depot was sorely in need of repair.
This newspaper photo shows restoration work being performed in 1977.
The YMCA was housed here in 1982.
The Depot House Museum as it appeared in 2002.
The Depot getting a new roof in 2012. (click to enlarge)

Original Version: 4-Dec-05.


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: index.shtml
Version: Sunday 20 January, 2013