Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's

History of Pittsfield

The Martin Farm

See what the site looked like in 2005.

Moses Martin House. The Martin Farm lies on Town-owned property on the banks of the Sebasticook River off lower Peltoma Avenue.

Moses Martin (1733-1850) and his wife, Anna Parker, with several children moved from Norridgewock, Maine to Pittsfield (then called Plymouth Gore) in the late 1790's purchasing land from Lovell Fairbrother. They first lived in a log cabin erected in 1794 on the banks of the Sebasticook River off what is now Peltoma Avenue. In early 1818, Moses Martin built the first framed house in Pittsfield at the same location. The Martins were the parents of 12 children, and in their declining years lived in the old home, cared for by their son David.

In later years, their grandson, William Perry Martin, owned and occupied the Martin Farm. The Farm was devastated by a fire in 1965 (click on photo at right to enlarge), and is now marked only by a granite rock placed in 1923 by the Elizabeth Pierce Lancey Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). The D.A.R. placed a bronze tablet on a granite rock at the site and although the tablet is long lost to vandals, the granite rock marking the spot remains.

The Pittsfield Historical Society and the Maine State Organization of the Daughters of the American Revolution rededicated the historical marker placed at the site of the homestead of Moses & Anna (Parker) Martin with a celebration on Aug. 4th, 2007, in an event at the First Congregational Church.

Mrs. Anna Parker Martin's spinning wheel (below) is in the care of the Pittsfield Historical Society at the Depot House Museum on Central Street, Pittsfield.


Original Version: 4-Feb-2006


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: MartinFarm.shtml
Version: Thursday 24 December, 2009