Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's

History of Pittsfield

Martin Farm House site - 2005

Photos by Kathy Palmer.

In preparation for replacing the plaque, these photos were taken to show the state of the site today. The original plaque was presented by the DAR. The marker was in the form of a boulder of Maine granite, bearing a bronze tablet, on which is the D.A.R. insignia and the inscription:

          1818-1923
       The site of the
      FIRST FRAME HOUSE
        Marked by
       Elizabeth Pierce Lancey Chapter
      Daughters of the American Revolution


When the plaque was placed in 1923, the original house still stood on the site and was owned and occupied by William Perry Martin, a direct descendant of the builder, Moses Martin. Mr. Martin, with his wife, Anna, and three children came to Pittsfield, in 1794. Their first dwelling was a log house; the present house was built in 1818. It burned in 1965.


Martin Cellar 1.JPG
Martin Cellar 1.JPG
877.20 KB
Martin Cellar 2.JPG
Martin Cellar 2.JPG
829.94 KB
Martin Cellar 3.JPG
Martin Cellar 3.JPG
832.33 KB
Martin Cellar 4.JPG
Martin Cellar 4.JPG
849.30 KB
Martin Cellar Chimney Remnants.JPG
Martin Cellar Chimney Remnants.JPG
821.01 KB
Martin Cellar Opposite 1.JPG
Martin Cellar Opposite 1.JPG
825.34 KB
Martin Farm Lane.JPG
Martin Farm Lane.JPG
828.42 KB
Martin Farm Lane as seen from Peltoma Ave. in 2005.
Martin Granite.JPG
Martin Granite.JPG
867.60 KB
The boulder that once held a plaque citing the location of the first wood frame building in Pittsfield.
Martin Marker Missing.JPG
Martin Marker Missing.JPG
823.64 KB
The plaque location.

Created with IrfanView


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: index.shtml
Version: Thursday 24 December, 2009