Treasurer Melissa Flewelling, Eric Flewelling, Historian Don Hallenbeck,
President Jim Lanzikos, Webweaver Tom Roberts, Clum Spencer, Secretary Tom Brown, and Curator
Kathy Palmer outside the Depot Museum, September 2004.
More information about the Depot Building, including pictures, can be found here.
As early as the mid-1970s there was action afoot to save Pittsfield's
remaining railroad depot station. Then active Athenaeum Club can be praised for taking
the lead in the restoration of the town's run-down, Victorian-Gothic structure built by
Maine Central Railroad in 1886. After conversation with interested local citizens, the
Personnel Director of Maine Central Institute, Gordon Peters, expressed his interest and
offered assistance to the Athenaeum Club and the dream was born.
Hours upon hours were spent in reaching the goal of the restoration of the depot
station. The Athenaeum Club, anaffiliated Arts Club, businessmen and women, local
citizens and more, contributed to rummage & craft sales, bake sales and a charity
show to support the restoration. As this was amidst the U.S. bicentennial, a grant from
the Maine State American Revolution Bicentennial Commission was applied for and $2000
was realized. Matching funds from the local clubs and the community-at-large put the
restoration project in focus; in late 1977, the Pittsfield train station was back in
business as a creative workshop center for the YMCA youth program funded through the
Maine Criminal Justice Planning and Assistance Agency.
Interest in a Historical Program continues
Sanger Mills Cook, locally reknowned for his contribution of Pittsfield on the
Sebasticook, formed the Pittsfield Historical Museum early in 1983. The Athenaeum
Club had since waned; Depot House, Inc. needed members and attention. The railroad
station was purchased January 20, 1976 for $5000, restored at a figure nearing $11,000 and
owned by the town, soon became the Depot House Museum, and its official caretakers, the
Pittsfield Historical Society.
A Reawakening to our Heritage and History
As the century turned from the 1990's to the new millennium, new interest dawned
on the Historical Society. When Pittsfield's first settler, Lovell Fairbrother,
ventured from Norridgewock in 1775 and then found the wilderness area to his dislike,
his despair was Moses and Anna Martin's delight.
Beginning with a log cabin in 1794, they later built the first frame house in 1818 on
what is now lower Peltoma Avenue. That's perseverance! Now, as then, the local people
have persisted despite obstacles, and the Pittsfield Historical Society remains a small,
but steadfast group.
Pittsfield Historical Society's main goal is opening the Depot House Museum to the
public, to share with all the riches of a bygone era. Therein lies a smidgen of the
past: a Civil War collection, area and human interest photos, scrapbooks, a doll
collection and a working antique organ. Books and boots, Bibles, a handcrank telephone,
artifacts from farms, businesses and homes.
Treasures are too numerous to count will be displayed in the Depot House lobby, and
the Maine Central Railroad Caboose houses railroad and train artifacts for the railroad
Visitors are encouraged to come often as we uncover more pieces of Pittsfield's