Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's
History of Pittsfield

Pittsfield's Municipal Building

unionhall2.jpg (24395 bytes)The town office, as well as the police and fire departments, are located in the Municipal Building in the center of town. The fire station portion of the building was renovated in 1974 from part of old "Union Hall." Construction of the attached brick building housing the town office and police station was completed in 1978, and the facility is in good condition. Some necessary pointing and sanding of the Union Hall masonry work was done in 1997. The building is wheelchair accessible at the front Park Street entrance, with a dedicated ample parking space on Connors Avenue to the side of the building. An elevator provides access to the first floor, where elections and meetings are held.

Most customers and employees enter from the municipal parking lot to the rear of the building. To alleviate parking competition with the Main Street businesses, the Town has created a parking lot across Park Street, where employees are able to legally park all day.

municipalbuilding.jpg (38426 bytes)

The downstairs contains the Council Chamber, which can accommodate 60 or so people comfortably, two conference rooms capable of seating up to ten people each, a large vault, and rest rooms. As the Council Chamber is set up for Council and Planning Board meetings with a podium for the mayor, clerk, and manager and six councilor desks.

The main floor upstairs contains a lobby and counter for transaction of Town business, with space for three office workers and equipment. Separate offices are available for the assessor/tax maps, town manager, tax collector, code enforcement officer, and assistant to the town manager. The town clerk works from an adjoining area with its own counter. The police department is located on the other side of the lobby.


Other views of Union Hall. Click on images to enlarge.


Original Version 8-Jan-2007.


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: MunicipalBuilding.shtml
Version: Thursday 24 December, 2009