Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's

History of Pittsfield

Hathorn Park

Hathorn Park occupies a double block of area approximating four acres bounded by Forest, Spring, Hathorn, and Park Streets. It was established as the first town park in 1920 out of the estate of Mr. Going Hathorn. Going Hathorn came to Pittsfield in 1832, and seeing the potential of a woolen mill on the Sebasticook River, bought the lumber mill from Jesse Connors, installed a new granite dam and opened a one set woolen mill in 1869 at the site of the current Edwards Manufacturing.

The distinctive gazebo that stands today, dedicated to music teacher William Griffin, is thought to have been erected during the 1920's for band concerts. Earlier in this century, a wooden flagpole stood by the gazebo, since replaced with an aluminum one. The triangular cement base of the original pole, however, still remains. Records of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) indicate that the steps leading into the park from Park Street were installed by the Town at the GAR's request to facilitate the efforts of their members to care for the flag.

The park used to be lined by many trees, but age and disease have reduced their number over time. The park features shaded walkways, ten benches and two picnic tables for passive enjoyment.

Hathorn Park also hosts more active pursuits, namely baseball and basketball. A Little League baseball diamond was added to the park circa 1950 and is supported by bleachers, toilet facilities, a concession stand and an equipment storage shed. The diamond was named after Paul Legge, a devoted MCI teacher and coach who volunteered countless hours to care of the Manson Park fields. This diamond and concession stand were put together by volunteers.

Hathorn Park also features a playground which offers a slide, 2 sets of swings, and a children's sized basketball court. The gazebo was renovated during the early 1980's. The park's sign was put in place by the Kiwanis Club during 1971. It was refurbished, along with the hot dog stand, in 1994. In 1997 a formal Pittsfield Farmers' Market was established, which has been given exlcusive use of the space during market hours to sell local farm products on the corner of Forest and Park Streets.

The 2005 photo below, taken from the Forest and Park Streets corner, shows informational kiosk, benches and concrete planters added in the summer of 2004, and cedar fending added in 1999. Click to enlarge.


Original Version: 31-Jan-06.


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: HathornPark.shtml
Version: Thursday 24 December, 2009