Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

GO TO NEW WEBSITE NOW

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's

History of Pittsfield

Pinnacle Park

For Pinnacle Ski Club, go here.

Kiwanis Ski Slope

Initially operated by the Kiwanis Club, it was called the "Kiwanis Slope". December, 1962 photo; click to enlarge.


Walter's Map 1960


Pinnacle in 1972
The Pinnacle slopes in 1972, showing the Ski Jump.

This park is located on and adjacent to an unusual geological bluff adjacent to the Sebasticook River. It is bordered on two sides by Hartland and Waverly Avenues and was originally attached to the J.W. Parks Golf Course across Hartland Avenue. The Parks family donated both the Pinnacle Park (which was its summer camp and hunting lodge) and the golf course, to Maine Central Institute. MCI has leased the Pinnacle Park section to the Town since the mid-1950's. The Pinnacle Park Ski Club has managed the property for the Town at no cost since approximately 1955. Commonly called "The Pinnacle," the Park offers a very popular winter sporting opportunity for Pittsfield's youth, as many have learned to ski in this local, safe environment.

The park has several short alpine trails serviced by a rope tow. The clubhouse has rest rooms, a snack bar, fireplace and tables and benches. It is rented for private functions and in 1996-97 hosted the Easy Street coffeehouse.

There is a small outdoor skating rink adjacent to the Sebasticook River.

More about the history of Pinnacle Park and the Pinnacle Park Ski Club can be found at the club's website: pinnacleskiclub.wordpress.com/history-of-the-pinnacle/


Original Version: 28-Feb-05.


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2015.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: PinnaclePark.shtml
Version: Wednesday 13 February, 2013