South Main St. Grammar School (1867-c.1888, demolished c.1980.)
Pittsfield's first grammar school, built around 1867 and about doubled in size a few years later (note change in
roof coloration). It stood on the site of the present First Baptist Church at the corner of South Main St. and
Stinson Ave. (top photo)
After closing as a school, in 1889 the building was moved to Park Street next to Union Hall (second photo, from
the mid 1940's) where it was turned into a commercial building by J.C.Connor, who added a second story and
fitted it out for a store and rooming house. Afterwards it became a theater, a knitting mill, a rooming house
and in the mid-1960's was auto parts store an rooming house. Demolished in a wave of urban renewal around 1980.
Hartland Avenue Grammar School (Marie Bradford School) (1897-present)
Old colorized picture postcard of Hartland Ave School.(top)
Marie Bradford, in a 1961 DAR group photo. (2nd photo)
As of 2005, the administrative offices of School Administrative District (SAD) #53 were
located in the former Marie Bradford School on Hartland Avenue. (bottom photo)
Lancy Street Gramar School (1888-1965)
Constructed of brick in 1888 at a cost of $10,000, the Lancey Street Grammar School accomodated primary, intermediat and grammar grades. It was located on
Lancey Street where the Manson Park School parking lot is now. Demolished aroud 1965 to make room for building the new Manson Park School.
Manson Park School (1952-present)
Manson Park School under construction in an August, 1950 newspaper photo. (top photo)
A 2002 photo from the Town of Pittsfield website. (bottom photo)
Located at 179 Lancey Street.
Maine Central Institute (1866-present)
MCI was founded in 1866 by Oren B. Cheney, Nathaniel Weymouth, Ebenezer Knowlton, Going
Hathorn, William C. Stinson, Lot L. Harmon, Jesse C. Connor and Aura L. Gerrish. Maine Central Institute
295 Main Street, Pittsfield, ME 04967, ph. 207-487-3355.
(top photo) Girls Dormatory and Founder's Hall in early colorized postcard photo.
(2nd photo) "1885-1888" photo of assemblage in front of school
(3rd photo) 1885 photo of MCI students in a buggy
(4th photo) MCI coaches circa 1950.
(5th photo) 1906 newspaper photo of Founders Hall.
(6th photo) 2004 view of MCI from the rear, under a nice rainbow. Similar view as next photo.
(bottom photo) Aerial view looking east of MCI campus from MCI website.
North Lancy Street Grammar School (1904- )
(top) North Lancey Street Grammar School, c.1905 photo with Grange building in background;
(bottom photo) 2003 photo as 3 North Lancey, a business office building. Address since changed to 113 North Lancy.
Riverside School (1890-1959.)
(top) Riverside School in 1906 newspaper photo.
A later postcard photo.
A 2005 photo.
Built in 1890 at a cost of $4,000, and served intermediate and grammar students. In the 1959 the Riverside School building was sold to C.M. Almy Church Goods when they first moved to Pittsfield. As of 2006 it was being used as an appartment
Vickery School (1958-present)
Vickery School, 30 School Street. 2002 photo. Addition built in 1965.