History from the
1904 Pittsfield Town Register
The whole 132 page 1904 Pittsfield Town Register with much more detailed town info is
available as a pdf file (1.89MB).
The beautiful and thriving town of Pittsfield, situated
in the broad, level valley of the Sebasticook River,
was not among the earliest towns to be settled in the
State. Nothing definite is known of this site previous to
1794, when Moses Martin, who had previously
penetrated the unbroken forest on a hunting expedition,
came from Norridgewock, built a log cabin and
commenced a clearing for a farm. Of the history
previous to this time we have only the light of general
history and of local tradition. The famous tribe of
Norridgewock Indians for many generations roamed
throughout the length and breadth of the Kennebec
Valley, unmolested by any save their enemy of another
stock of red men. At Norridgewock they had a
flourishing village where, just a century before, Mr.
Martin built his log cabin near the Sebasticook River,
Sebastian Rasle, a Jesuit, came to teach the Indians the
doctrine of the Christian church. From this village they
roamed over this entire section, and the valley of the
Sebasticook must have been to them the favorite
hunting grounds of this vicinity. We are also informed
that within the memory of some now living, a branch of
the Penobscot tribe frequently visited Peltoma Point,
where, tradition says, is one of their ancient buryinggrounds
and the resting place of a chief who bore that
name. In the light of the foregoing facts, we have only
to study the history of nations, savage or civilized, to
see that this border land must have been the scene of
many bloody conflicts in times of hostilities between
these two powerful nations. But our forefathers were
not molested, for both these native tribes were fast
becoming extinct. True and pathetic are the words of
Alas! for them, their days are o'er,
Their fires are out from hill and shore;
No more for them, the wild deer bounds,
The plow is on their hunting grounds;
The pale man's axe rings through their woods,
The pale man's sail skims o'er their floods.
Cold with the beast he slew, he sleeps;
O'er him no filial spirit weeps;
No crowds throng 'round, no anthem notes ascend
To bless his coming and embalm his end;
Even that he lived, is for his conqueror's tongue,
By foes alone, his death song must be sung."
—Charles Sprague, “Centennial Ode,” delivered at Boston Centennial, 1830
Mr. Martin whom we have already mentioned as
the first settler, came up the river with the Indians and
settled the farm where his grandson Perry Martin now
lives, near Peltoma Point. He married a Miss Parker
and had a family of twelve children. His son, Jessie,
being the first white child born in Pittsfield. In 1818
he built the house now standing at the old homestead
which is claimed to have been the first framed house
built in this town. In 1800 came George Brown, from
Norridgewock, William Bradford and a Mr. Wyman
from Vassalboro. Messers Brown and Wyman built
the first mills. In 1804 John Libby and John Spearing
came here from Fairfield and settled east of Libby's
Pond. John Merrick settled near them in 1806, coming
from Hallowell. Ephraim Higgins came from Mt.
Desert in 1808 and located on the farm now the home
of his grandson in the western part of the town.
Samuel Bennett came in 1810. In 1811 John Hart
settled on the lot next above Mr. Higgins and the same
year Dominicus Getchell settled here coming from
West Anson. Richard Hackett a Revolutionary Soldier
came from Strong, about 1812, and settled on the
Charles Farnham place about one mile south of the
village and the following year Joseph McCauslin
came from Hallowell and settled near the Detroit line
east of the village. In the river between his house and
Moses Martin's was the old ford where the river was
generally crossed until the bridge was built near the mills.
The same year (1813) John Webb came from Waterville
with his newly wedded wife, Mary and his father-in-law
Josiah Jacobs. Mr. Webb located on the lot—Range 7,
Lot 6, now comprising the A. H. Taylor and E. E.
Johnson farms. His house being located near the spot
now occupied by Mr. Johnson's buildings. Mr. Webb
took a very active interest in the early affairs and used
his dwelling house as a town house for fourteen years
after the incorporation of Warsaw or until they were
changed to the school house in Mr. Webb's district. Of
Mr. Jacobs's sons, Josiah Jr., settled on the John Cross
farm one half mile below Mr. Webb's, and Aaron built
his cabin on the Charles Taylor farm. William Parks
came from Richmond about the year 1814 and settled on
the Libby place just across the river from Mr. Martin's,
in the edge of Detroit. In 1830 he moved to Pittsfield and
settled on what is now Hartland Ave. on the old Parks
Timothy Mclntyre and Stevens Kendall were also
prominent in guiding the affairs of the early plantation
and township, but the exact date of their arrival is unknown.
Charles, James and Timothy McKinney were
also among the early settlers here.
Probably none of the early settlers contributed so
much to the prosperity and healthy growth of the town as
Jesse Connor, who came here from Gardiner in
1814. He lived in a house which stood on the site now
occupied by the Dobson block. Soon after his coming
here he purchased the mill property of a Mr. Bradford,
who is supposed to have owned it in connection with
Dominicus Getchell. Mr. Connor was the first to open
a store. This he kept in one end of his house. There
were no roads so he was obliged to go to Gardiner
through the forest on horseback to procure his goods.
He was the projector and principal means of building
the first county road now known as the river road. He
continued actively in the mill business, running both
a saw and grist mill until 1833, when he sold to Going
Another very prominent man in the early affairs of
the town was Capt. David Pushor, who came from
Fairfield the Christmas of 1816 and settled near
Sibley Pond, but soon moved to the lot now known as
the McMaster farm. His brother, Amos, settled near
him. Capt. Pushor filled many places of trust in the
town being the first constable, tax collector and
Phillip Powers came here in 1818 from Canaan
and settled near Power's Corner. He had seven children
of whom Arba and Phillip settled near him. Both
of these had large families and many of the sons have
become leading figures in the political and
educational field, our own Governor, Llewllyn
Powers, being the oldest son of Arba Powers. Adam
Powers, a brother to Phillip Jr., surveyed many of the
early roads in the town. John F. Weymouth was also
a leader in the affairs of the early town.
Another important family was that of Joseph C.
Patten who came from Skowhegan (then Canaan) in
1820. His six sons settled what is known as the Patten
Neighborhood and have taken a great interest in the
affairs of their adopted town.
Elder William Getchell, a Free Baptist minister, was
a very useful man among the settlers here, coming from
Getchell Corner, in Vassalboro. He located on the farm
now owned by Mr. Frederick, on the river road, where
he made a home for his family, and for fifty years went
around, throughout the surrounding districts, preaching
the gospel of Christian love, uniting in marriage the
hardy youths and maidens of this early period and
performing the last rites, when death made an end of life.
Other names previous to 1823—many of these who
took a leading part in the town affairs, are: John Berry,
Eben Burton, Nathan Burton, Elijah Buzzell, Elisha
Dodge, Winthrop Eldridge, William Fairbrother,
Jedediah Fowler, Jeremiah Gahan, Joseph Haskell,
Henry Libby, John Libby, Robert McCausland,
Barnabas P. Merrick, John Noble, M. P. Noble,
Abraham Pushor, David Runnels, John Runnels,
Freeman Rollins, Bryant Tozier, John Towne and
The following best reveals when a few of the leading
families came and where they located.
Isaac Weeks, from Gray, 1823, at Week's Corner
Joshua Weeks, from Gray, 1823, at Week's Corner.
William Carr, from Clinton, 1824, near Carr School House.
Col. William Lancey, Palmyra, 1824, Lancey Homestead.
Oliver and Elizabeth Humphrey, Gray, 1825, R 5—Lot 14.
Elias Humphrey, Gray, 1825, R 5—Lot 14.
Rev. Daniel McMaster, Etna, 1830, McMaster's farm.
Noah Thompson, Berwick, 1830, near Webb School House.
Joseph Foster, Windsor, 1830, Lower River Road.
David Taylor, Windsor, 1832, Levi Taylor farm.
Going Hathorn, Gardiner, 1833, Village.
Robert Hunter, Bowdoinham, 1836, Hunter's Corner.
The settlement was first called Plymouth Gore
and was a part of the Kennebec Purchase. In 1815 it
was organized as Sebasticook Plantation. June 19,
1819, the inhabitants petitioned the Legislature and
were incorporated a town by the name of Warsaw,
Esq. Bridge of Augusta, one of the principal land
holders, selecting the name.
ACT OF INCORPORATION
Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
In the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and
nineteen. An act to incorporate a town by the name
of Warsaw. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of
Representatives in General Court assembled, and
by the authority of the same, that the tract of land
contained within the following described boundaries
be, and hereby is, incorporated and established as a
town by the name of Warsaw: Beginning at the
north-east corner of the town of Canaan, thence southerly
on the east line of Canaan to Clinton north-east
line, thence easterly on the county line between Kennebec
and Somerset to the westerly line of the township
numbered five, in the second range of
townships; thence on said line to the south line of
Palmyra; thence westerly on the L of Palmyra, so
called, to the south-west corner of said L, thence
northerly to the said line of the mile and a half strip;
thence westerly to the first mentioned bounds. And
the inhabitants of the said town of Warsaw, are hereby
vested with all the corporate powers and privileges,
and shall also be subject to the same duties and
requisitions as other corporate towns, according to
the constitution and laws of the Commonwealth. And
any Justice of the Peace for the County of Somerset,
is hereby empowered upon application thereof, to
issue a warrant directed to a freeholder inhabitant of
the said town of Warsaw, requiring him to notify and
warn the freeholders and other inhabitants thereof, to
meet at such convenient time and place as shall be
appointed in said warrant, for the choice of such
officers as towns are by law required and empowered
to choose at their annual town meetings.
In the House of Representatives, June 19th., 1819.
This Bill having had three several readings passed
to be enacted.
TIMOTHY BIGELOW, Speaker.
In Senate, June 19, 1819.
This bill having had two several readings, passed to
JOHN PHILLIPS, President.
June 19, 1819, Approved.
A true copy, Attest
A. BRADFORD, Secretary of Commonwealth.
ANNEXATION OF A PORTION OF PALMYRA
In 1828, a portion of Palmyra was annexed to the
town of Pittsfield. The act passed the Legislature
February 22, 1828, and was signed by Governor
Enoch Lincoln on February 23rd.
The town of Pittsfield is justly proud of her military
record. From the early Revolutionary days to the
late skirmish with Spain, some of the citizens have
had part, and their services reflect honor upon themselves
and the town. The Revolutionary soldiers, of
course, were her early settlers, but not residing here
at the time of enlistment. We have, in the following,
compiled a list of Pittsfield's military men.
According to the roll of honor of the G. A. R., the
Soldiers of the Revolution, who afterwards settled in
Pittsfield, were Richard Hackett and Joseph Pratt.
Soldiers of the war of 1812, who settled here after
the war, were Benjamin Adams, Samuel Bennett,
Rufus Blaisdell, Ebenezer Burton, Samuel Call, William
Carr, Abial Cobb, Captain John Dingley, John
Drew, Jedediah Fowler, Joseph Foster, Daniel Gordon,
Joseph Jack, Calvin Jewett, Samuel Kinney,
Silas Mahoney, Robert McCauslin, Captain David
Pushor, Abram Pushor, Phillip Powers, James H.
Reynolds, Enoch Rogers, Isaac Southard, David Taylor,
William Trask, Isaac Weeks, Joshua Weeks,
Josiah Jacobs, Asa Witham, James Willis, John Webb.
Soldiers of the Rebellion, whose names are on the
Stephen Davis Post, Number 11, roll of honor, are
William G. Barnes, Major John O. Brackett, Roscoe
G. Brackett, George Burns, Joseph M. Burse, Charles
B. Cargill, Fred A. Chase, Albert R. Clark, Daniel
Cobb, Nathan Cole, Frank B. Coffin, Thomas
Cookson, Robert Cramp, Norris A. Davis, Thomas F.
Davis, Myrick Hagerty, Sergeant William S. Howe,
A. J. Harding, Barney Hoxie, William H. Hoxie,
George Henderson, Joseph Jackson, Calvin L. Jewett,
Frank B. Johnson, Henry W. Johnson, Lorin Josselyn,
Roscoe M. Leavitt, Cyrus Leighton, Madison Libby,
Ethan E. Maxwell, Sergeant John C. Manson, Abner
McCauslin, Eugene Millet, Augustus Mills, Charles
F. Morrill, Louis P. Morrill, Stephen H. Mosher,
Thompson Neal, Seth Noble, William Parks,
Benjamin F. Patten, Robert Peasley, Alverdo N.
Phillips, Joseph M. Phillips, Roscoe M. Phillips,
Thomas Phinney, Enoch A. Rogers, Captain C. H.
Sawyer, John Scribner, Leonard C. Small, Elijah
A. Small, Daniel Spaulding, John H. Spaulding, Levi
B. Speed, Z. D. Stephens, Amos N. Smiley, Vergil D.
Sweetland, Ebenezer Thompson, John C. Thompson,
James Towne, Russell S. Tucker, Joseph P. Tuttle,
Timothy Weymouth, Charles H. Welch, Major
Albion Whitten, Otis Willey, Asa Witham, Jr., Ezra
Withee, Josiah Woodbury.
Residents of Pittsfield who served in the war of
1861, who are members of the Stephen Davis Post,
Number 11, are Stephen D. Bickford, Charles Chase,
Enoch Carr, Charles W. Clifford, Richard W. Daniels,
Abel Davis, Benjamin Fairbrother, John M. Foster,
John H. Gilman, Gilman S. Gould, D. B. Gerald, Orin
S. Haskell, Preston Hersey, Henry Judkins, Alonzo
Libby, R. F. Lancaster, Morey Mulliken, Colonel W.
G. Morrill, Arthur Neal, Jacob M. Patten, George W.
Patten, E. L. Plummer, H. H. Powers, Albert L.
Sylvester, Andrew J. Southard, William M. Somers,
Silas F. Sprague, George W. Varney, Moses H.
Witham, John Weymouth, Frank J. White, A. H.
Webendorfer, Albert Willey, A. W. Webb, Ezra K.
Other soldiers of 1861 in town, were Daniel
Goodwin, Horatio Libby Pennell, William H. White,
Samuel H. Wood.
The following enlisted and went to Cuba where
they were on duty during the Spanish war: Ralph
Davis, Frank B. Farmer, LaForest O. Graves, Joseph
Gurney, Albert Merrow, Bert Ryan, Allie
Thomas, Harry Finson, Albert L. Wright.
The following went to Chicamauga: Harold Sinclair,
Bert Priest, Neal Warren, William Surman,
Several others enlisted but did not go beyond
The first successful movement for the permanent
organization of the Universalists of Pittsfield began
early in May, 1867, and was perfected at a meeting
called for the purpose on May 27, 1867, in the Union
meeting house which was built in 1857 and stood on
the site of the present Universalist church. This organization
was made in the interest of "Liberal Christianity,"
those who made it believing that there was an
urgent demand for high and enlightened conceptions
in the field of religion. There were forty-two who
formed this first organization. The parish was organized
on January 20, 1882. It was incorporated under
the State general law on November 7, 1892. In 1871
the Universalists bought out the interests of those not
Universalists in the Church property, and at that time
greatly remodeled the structure. This building stood
until 1898 when it was torn down and in its place the
present beautiful edifice was erected at a cost of $20,-
500. The dedication was on June 21, 1899. The pastors
have been, Rev. James H. Smith, 1866-'68; Rev.
George W. Quimby, 1868-'7o; Rev. David B. Byther,
1870-'72; Rev. Elijah Case, 1872-'74; Rev. Norris C.
Hodgdon, 1874-'76: Rev. Caroline E. Angell, 1876-
'83; No pastor settled 1883-'88; Rev. H. S. Fiske,
1888-'91; Rev. J. H. Little, 1891-'92; Rev. E. A. Read,
1892-'96; Rev. H. E. Townsend, 1896-'97; Rev.
Leroy W Coons 1897 to the present time. The
Universalist people in Pittsfield now number about
two hundred and sixty families and their work is very
There is a Young People's Christian Union in this
The Free Baptist society was organized June 21,
1855, under the present name of the Pittsfield and
Detroit Free Baptist Church, with nine members. For
four years the services were held at the members'
dwellings or at the village school house. In 1857 the
East Pittsfield Union Meeting House was built by the
combined effort of all the Christian people in this
section, and here this society worshiped having their
own pastor, who preached every second Sabbath,
alternating with the Universalist pastor. When the
Institute building was completed in 1869, they sold
their interest in the Union Meeting House and began
worshiping in this new Free Baptist school building.
The same year a Sabbath School was organized at the
village school house. This society has had a phenomenal
On February 21, 1892, the beautiful edifice on
Main Street, near the Institute, was dedicated to the
worship of God. The parsonage is situated on the
Institute property near the dormitory, and is in keeping
with its beautiful surroundings. The present membership
is one hundred and ninety-two resident
members and fifty-eight non-resident, making a total
of two hundred fifty members. The young people of
the church have a prosperous Christian Endeavor
Society. The pastors who have served the church,
with their term of service, are as follows: Rev, R.
Copp from 1855 to 1859: Rev. A. L. Gerrish from
1866 to 1876; Rev. J. B. Davis from 1876 to 1878;
Rev. Alfred E. Hogbin, from 1878 to 79; Rev. James
Boyd from 1879 to 1880. Rev. S. C. Whitcomb from
1881 to 1895; Rev. George L. White from 1896 to
1899; Rev. F. D. George from 1899 to 1901; Rev. O.
H. Tracy, November 27, 1901.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The first Methodist class in Pittsfield was formed
by Theodore Gerrish about 1870, and consisted of
but nine members. A chapel was erected for worship
in 1872, which was remodeled and enlarged during
the pastorate of Mr. Hamilton, about seven years ago.
Now they have a modern and convenient edifice,
centrally located on Mason Street. Those who have
served as pastors, and their dates of appointment, are
as follows: Theodore Gerrish served until 1878;
Ammi Prince, 1878-'8o; C. E. Springer, 1880-82;
William T. Jewell, 1882 to '83; Norman LaMarsh,
1883-'85; W. H. Crawford, 1885-'87; R. M. Wilkins,
1887; Edward Truman, 1889 until October ; T. H.
Murphy, 1888: E. S. Walker, May 1809, died August
1889; W. A. Taylor, 1889; Wilson Lermond, 1890-
'93; George H. Hamilton, 1893-'98; Albert E. Luce,
1898-'1901, H. L. Williams, 1901-'02; A. E. Morris,
1902. A parsonage lot has been purchased on Lancey
Street and a parsonage will be erected during the
summer of 1904. An Epworth League is liberally
supported by the young people of the church.
A Catholic society was formed in the village several
years ago. Regular services have been held in Perkins
Hall, by Father Kealey of Belfast. The society has
just erected a new church on Detroit Ave., through the
efforts of Father Kealey and his church, they having
received the liberal co-operation of Pittsfield's leading
There is no church in town outside of the village,
but undenominational services are often held at the
Webb school house, Carr school house and Powers
school house, by preachers from surrounding churches
or by theological students from the Institute. Rev.
Ora Chase of Canaan at one time held regular
services at the Webb and Carr school houses where
he had revival services in 1892, and established
weekly prayer meetings which were held for several
From earliest records the town has given liberal
support to its educational interests. The first year of
its incorporation saw $150 raised for the support of
schools. We find that Elizabeth Merrick taught
fifteen weeks in 1819 at two dollars per week, and
Lydia Fuller thirteen and one-half weeks in 1820 at
one dollar per week, thus the amount raised
supported several weeks of school in each of the five
districts. In 1823 these districts were unnumbered. In
1825 there were one hundred and seventy-one
scholars; in 1828 two hundred and fifty; in 1841 four
hundred and nineteen; and in 1844 four hundred and
ninety-seven. This remarkable increase shows the
rate at which new families were settling in town.
Most of them had families of from four to ten
children, Moses Martin and David Taylor each raised
families of twelve.
THE MAINE CENTRAL INSTITUTE
As the town increased the need of a higher
institution of learning was felt and in 1866 a school
charter was granted by the legislature to establish the
Maine Central Institute. The school was opened the
same year, but the present building was not
completed until 1869. The building, which is a
substantial and imposing brick structure, 118 by 68
feet is three stories above the basement, with a bell
tower and bell.
It is beautifully situated on a high point of land,
and may be distinctly seen from the surrounding
country for long distances. The lot comprising 200
acres, was the gift of Going Hathorn. It is a valuable
situation on the west side of Main St., in the southern
part of the village. The grounds are beautifully laid
out with walks and drives, studded on either side with
rows of maples. In 1896 Powers Hall was finished off
in the Institute building, by the Alumni at a cost of
about $5000. George Powers an Alumnus of the
Maine Central Institute and the one for whom the
new hall is named gave about $3000 of the amount.
The hall is one of the finest school halls in the state.
In 1893 the institute was made a free high school to
advanced students in town. The last season has seen
the dormitory situated near the school building
greatly enlarged and improved. An efficient board of
instruction has charge of the school. In 1900 Prof. F.
N. Landman, A. B., succeeded O. H. Drake as
Principal. He has had fifteen years experience as an
instructor and has proven himself an able leader.
BOARD OF INSTRUCTION. F. U. Landman, A. B.,
Principal, Latin, Mathematics and Political
Economy; G. E. Ramsdell, A. B., Science and
Mathematics; Fannie R. Waterman, A. M.,
Preceptress, Modern Languages, History and
Literature; Florria M. Bishop, Superintendent
Normal Department, Normal Classes, Rhetoric and
Pedagogy; Mrs. C. S. Coffin, A. B., Greek and
Literature; Mrs. Evelyn A. Call, Latin and Bookkeeping;
Mrs. F. J. Taylor, Vocal and Instrumental
Music; Mrs. E. C. Bryant, Phonography and
Typewriting; Ethel B. Vickery, A. B., Elocution. This
is a Free Baptist institution and a fitting school for
Bates College with two literary societies. The public
schools have made rapid progress and advancement
in methods, and in establishing new schools in the
village as the increase in the number of scholars
demanded. The Lancey Street School House was
built in 1888, at a cost of $10,000. It is built of brick
and accommodates three grades, Primary,
Intermediate and Grammar. The Riverside School
House was built in 1890 and cost $4000; it is
Intermediate and Grammar. In 1897 the new Primary
on Hartland Avenue was built to accommodate the
younger pupils in the northern part of the village.
Since that time the village has grown until the
schools are again overcrowded and the need of a
new Intermediate school building is being
brought before the people. In 1892 a radical change in
the school system was made, the district system was
abolished and the entire charge of all town schools was
given into the hands of the Supervising School
Committee. This was found to be a great improvement,
as now all schools have the same number of weeks, thus
giving every pupil an equal opportunity. There are but
five rural schools now open, these are attended by about
eighty pupils. The Schools are under the care of O. H.
Drake the former principal of the Maine Central Institute.
Up to the year 1854, the site now occupied by this
thrifty manufacturing village was the home of only a
few scattered families. It contained a saw mill, grist mill
and shingle mill, the post office of East Pittsfield,
Lancey's Inn and three or four stores. There was no
railroad connection with the outside world, but during
that year the Penobscot & Kennebec Railroad, (now the
Maine Central), was extended from Waterville to
Pittsfield, and the following summer completed through
to Bangor. This raised the dignity of the humble
hamlet to the position of a railroad centre for the
surrounding rural section. At the same time I. H. Lancey
built a hotel, an unpretentious affair but adequate to
its needs and the beginning of the Lancey House of
Going Hathorn bought Connor's saw and grist
mills, situated near the long bridge when he came to
town in 1832, but this broad minded and foreseeing
man of business saw greater opportunities in the unbridled
power of the Sebasticook as its unobstructed
waters dashed down the rapids of its rocky bed where
it had flowed for centuries. With a good capital at his
command, Mr. Hathorn determined to construct and
equip a mill for the manufacture of woolen goods. The
one-set mill opened in January, 1869, was the result
and the real beginning of this town's remarkable prosperity.
The property was bought soon after by Robert
Dobson, William Dobson and William Davis. Mr.
Davis, a few years after, sold his interest to Dennison
Walker and Robert Dobson and the present firm name
of Robert Dobson & Company was established.
Extensive additions and improvements have been
frequently made until this is now said to be the largest
woolen manufacturing establishment in the state that
is not a corporation. The plant now operates twelve
sets of cards with sufficient other machinery for a
sixteen set mill. In 1870 the value of its annual output
was $125,000. In 1893 it was over $450,000, when
230 hands were employed in its production. Now 300
hands are employed receiving for their work $10,000
monthly. During the year 1903 692 to 823 yards of
finished goods were produced, valued at $120,687.20.
Its officers are Wm. Dobson, Gordon Dobson and F.
W. Briggs, the latter being superintendent.
RIVERSIDE WOOLEN MILL
In 1883 Dennison Walker withdrew from the firm
of Robert Dobson & Co and built this mill which was
opened the following year under the name of the
Maple Grove mill. In 1899 the mill was purchased by
the Riverside Woolen Co., consisting of F. R. Smith,
T. E. B. Knowles, and Ernest Maxfield. Mr. Maxfield
and Mr. Knowles have since withdrawn. The present
management consists of E. D. Smith, president and. F.
R. Smith treasurer. This is a four set mill employing
125 hands who receive in wages from $40,000 to
WAVERLEY WOOLEN MILL
For several years the manufacturies in the village
had coveted the excellent mill privileges offered by the
fall in the river about one mile from the railroad
station. In 1892 the Waverley Woolen Co., was
formed and the mill opened the following season.
This mill runs nine sets of cards with sixty looms
and employs 240 hands (175 men, 65 women)
who receive about $8000 monthly. The product is
about 50,000 yards of finished goods per month.
The Waverley Woolen Company is a corporation
with the following officers A. P. McMaster,
president, Gordon Dobson, treasurer, S. R. Haines,
superintendent. A. P. McMaster, William Dobson,
J. F. Connor of Pittsfield, E. H. Blake of Bangor,
C. S. Cushman of Boston and M. S. Holway of
All three mills are now equipped with high
power engines for use when the water supply is
limited or unavailable. No children under the age
of 15 are employed in any of these establishments.
The lumber business in Pittsfield has long been
an important industry and is fast increasing. The
original mill of the Pittsfield Electric Light &
Power Company was established about thirty
years ago, by T. S. Dexter in company with Mr.
Sampson, for a shingle and long lumber mill. The
present company bought the plant in 1896
and put in the electric lighting system
throughout the village. The spool mill was added two
years later, but has gradually increased. The amount of
business done during the year 1903, by this company
amounted to about $75,000, $35,000 worth of business
by the spool department, about the same by the long
lumber department and $6,000 by the electrical
department. The spool mill employs fifty hands, mostly
men, the long lumber department about twenty hands,
receiving in all over $2000 per month for labor. During
the coming season another room 40x60 feet, is to be
added to the spool department, and other extensive
improvements made thereby doubling the capacity of this
already important industry. Thomas E. Kitchen of
Foxcroft, is President, Frank L. Smith, Treasurer and
Bryant's Long Lumber, Sash and Blind Mill was
established in 1892, by Bryant and Woodruff, but three
or four years later Mr. [Frank] Bryant assumed full
control. The plant has several times doubled its capacity,
forty to fifty men are now employed receiving over
$20,000 annuaily,and doing $100,000 to $150,000 worth
of business. Everything required for the construction of
a first class house is handled.
For twenty-five years following 1871, the
manufacture of clothing furnished employment to many,
mostly women, of this town. G. J. Pendexter was the
first to establish a business of this nature here. He
manufactured coats, vests and trousers while in the
business, but most of the clothing manufactured here
has been trousers. George W. Kimball went into
partnership with Mr. Pendexter in 1877, when they
made 1800 pairs of trousers a week. Since that time
Mr. Kimball has remained continually in the business
and is now sole owner. In the big fire of 1881 he was
burned out, but immediately opened his shop in a
new location. He now employs sixteen hands in his
shop and furnishes work to many in their homes.
Much of the work now is custom work. Others who
have carried on this business in town are Joseph H.
Chapman, J. H. Rich, B. L. Fitzgerald, Charles Berdeen,
O. T. Merrow & Son, Gilman Gould, Llewellyn
Gould, George Elliott and R. A. Conant, who also
made shirts and overalls.
Other important industries are the corn canning
factory of the Northern Maine Packing Co.; The
Somerset County Creamery; Hunter McMaster &
Co's grist mill, John Maxfield, miller; H. A. Morrill's
brick yard, and S. S. Smith and A. L. Shattuck
Pittsfleld now has a National Bank incorporated in
1890. J. W. Manson is president, H. T. Libby,
treasurer, and a Trust Co., incorporated last year with
J. M. Chalmers, president; W. L. Pushor, treasurer.
The first regular newspaper printed here was the
"Pittsfield Times" established in 1876 by Smith &
Pendleton, but this did not continue for a long time. In
1882 the Advertiser was established by Charles B.
Haskell. It has since continued and improved, and is
now a live up-to-date weekly newspaper.
It 1894 an efficient system of water supply was
established for the village. This is now owned by the
town. The stand pipe situated north of the village
holds 225,000 gallons and is filled from the river
above the Waverly Mill, near which is located the
pumping station. There are now sixty-eight public
hydrants, eleven belonging to the several
manufacturing concerns. These are all under high
pressure, which together with a large supply of hose
and an efficient fire department practically insures the
town against accident in this direction.
The future for Pittsfield is very promising and not
a few of her citizens see the form of a hustling
manufacturing city to be realized before the second
decade of this century has passed. This is not without
foundation for the big Sebasticook dam recently
constructed on the river below the junction of its two
branches, five miles below the village, will produce
about twice as much power as all that is being used by
the three mills now in operation here and this power
may be conducted electrically to furnish manufacturing
power at the village. The Sebasticook Power Co., was
incorporated last season, Allen Hackett, president; J. W.
Manson, secretary and treasurer. The Company will
doubtless have control of the lighting of the village
when its plant is completed.
Col. William Lancey, a Justice of the Peace,
performed most of the early legal business in the eastern
part of the town, and George Whitney, Esq., who was
also Deputy Sheriff, that of the settlers in the west. J. B.
Peaks opened a law office here in 1876, but C. A.
Farwell was the first to locate here permanently in the
profession. After him came Levi Greenleaf, William
Seekins, and F. L. Hovey. Those in practice now are as
follows: J. W. Manson, Abel Davis, G. H. Morse, Judge
O. H. Drake and T. A. Anderson.
The first regular physician to locate in Pittsfield
seems to have been J. C. Manson who came here about
1855. Several came here who did not stop for a very
long time. Dr. W. S. Howe, who served in the army
during the war located here soon after its close. Then
came Harris Pushor.
Those in practice now are as follows: F.J. Taylor,
AL; T. M. Griffin, AL; T. N. Drake, E. A. Porter, AL;
C. A. McDonald, AL; C. S. Philbrick, J. H. Wilson,
Dr. W. C. Marden died recently. Among Pittsfields
prominent physicians was also Dr. W. C.
Marden recently deceased.
Dr. E. C. Bryant, D. D. S., opened his dental office
here in 1875. He did all the work of the place in his
line until it became too extensive tor one dentist
when M. L. Damon located in the village.
D. D. Winslow is Pittsfield's efficient veterinary
The first trader was Jesse Connor who opened a
store in his house in 1814. In 1824 Col. William
Lancey came here from Palmyra, and soon opened a
store at his residence. We find that in May 1828 he
was licensed to retail spirits for four months, and the
following September he was licensed to be inn holder
at his dwelling house. Going Hathorn came to Pittsfield
from Gardiner in 1833 and bought the mills and
store of Jesse Connor. In 1839, William K. Lancey,
son of Col. William Lancey, began trading at the age
of eighteen. Later, H. Warren Lancey, his brother, was
associated with him. In 1847 H. B. & J. C. Connor
opened a general store on the west side of Main street.
Lewis Wyman began about 1853. Obed Foss was at
one time associated with Going Hathorn, they later
sold to Dexter & McMann. Some other early traders
were Morris Keene, F. D. Judkins, A. P. McMaster,
C. E. Vickery, Nelson Vickery, D. W. Libby, George
H. Hunter, Pendexter & Chapman, J. H. Davis, H. A.
Morrill, Benjamin Thompson, A. F. Dinsmore, Vance
& Bean, S. Belgardt, W. N. Child, P. E. Dinsmore, H.
C. Pooler, Runnels Brothers and John Dresser.
The post-office in the western part of the town, was
established about 1824, situated on the stage route
from Canaan to Bangor, the stage passing through
Palmyra and Newport. Capt. Benjamin Adams was
the first postmaster and George Whitney succeeded
him, each holding the office for many years. Alma
Richardson, Mr. G. P. Garfield, Mrs. G. Garfield
and Alexander Raub complete the list. This office was
discontinued last year when the Rural Free Delivery was
established. The village post-office, first known as East
Pittsfield office was established in 1830 when it was kept
by James Willis near the foot of McCarty hill. The early
mails were often carried on foot to and from Palmyra.
About 1849 H. B. Connor became postmaster. Succeeding
him at long intervals are J. C. Connor, H. J. Brackett, H.
F. Libby, and Oramel Murray the present post master.
More details of the history of Pittsfield can be found in the 1904 Pittsfield Town Register (pdf, 1.89MB).