Pittsfield Historical Society's History of Pittsfield
What's New Here?
Recent additions to this website.
This page tries to help folks who visit this website occassionally and
wonder what has been added since their last visit. We will be recording here significant
changes with the most recent changes at the top of the list.
Thank you to all who have helped add to the story of Pittsfield!
Added a photo of the recent roof work being done on the Depot page.
Updated the Pittsfield Advertiser page with more photos and a fuller story, added the rest of the first edition from 1882, added a Library of Congress link to where archived issues are available, and moved most of the entry on the Past Businesses page to the Advertiser's own page.
Added large-scale photos of many of the photo pages throughout the book Pittsfield on the Sebasticook. You can now click on any of the photo pages and they will enlarge for better viewing. This had been neglected for the past six years!
Added another mystery photograph to the Mysteries Page. This mystery photograph was submitted by Tom Brown.
Added the beginnings of a page dedicated to The Pittsfield Advertiser, with links to photographed pages from the March 2, 1905 and April 1882 editions.
25 February 2010
Added "A Brief History 1960-2000" to the Congregational Church page, plus updated their postal and email addresses.
Added a link to their website to the Universalist Church page.
Added photos of the Midway Drive-In Theater's projection house to the Past Businesses Page.
8 January 2010
Added the "Up Arrows" to the bottom of the menu and to the footer.
Added "external website" icon  to all links to external websites, and
explained this in "Notes".
Converted entire website from frames to shtml format. This allows the actual path and file names to appear in the browser's location gadget, plus all
pages now have a footer with the copyright notice and exact file name and date of last modification. Fixed broken links, and made many small edits and
corrections along the way, which of course slowed way down the work of revising the site.
Added the Pittsfield Town Register 1904. (1.89MB pdf file) which Tom Brown found scanned on Google Books.
Also extracted the Town History section from it and set that up as a stand-alone web page.
Rearranged the menu by creating logical groupings of pages, hopefully making things easier to find. Using styles, removed the underlining from all the
website's links, making the menu easier to read. Also moved Google Search gadget to menu column so it will appear on every page.
Added a "Streets that are no more" section to the Streets Page to explain what happened to Weeks Road, Park St., Forest St., etc.
Divided the "Mill Pond and Sebasticook River" page into two pages.
Re-wrote the Schools page, and increased the size of all the thumbnails from 100 px wide to 300 px wide.
Re-wrote the Streets page, and increased the size of all the thumbnails from 100px wide to 300 px wide.
Added tool tips to the menus on the index and chapter pages of Pittsfield on the Sebasticook, so
that hovering over a chapter number gives you the chapter title and chapter pages.
Added In-Town and Whole-Town 2009 post-E911 maps to the Maps page. Also added a 1933 USGS topo map of Pittsfield.